Saturday, August 18, 2012

Very Sharp, Great for Backpacking, slightly heavier than expected

Reviews: Fiskars 7855 8-Inch Hatchet

I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast and backpack often on multiple night trips. I've never felt the need to have a hatchet with me until the last time I went backpacking. Fire wood was scarce and breaking branches with your hands is hard and will probably lead to injury. As soon as I got back I jumped online to find a good hatchet that was small but durable. Settled on the Fiskars over the Gerber BackPaxe as it had better reviews. It's pretty sharp right out of the box and I was able to split wood with ease, even bigger logs - using another branch as a baton. It's small enough to be stowed in your pack, but you will need to get another sheath. The one that comes with it is a hard plastic case that is slightly big, although I guess it could attached to outside of your pack easily. I got my own sheath and wrapped the handle with paracord for extra grip and cushion, plus having extra cord in case you need it. The handle is hollow, so you could potentially stash emergency stuff inside and make a little cap for it or tape it shut or something.
The one thing I did not like about it: Slightly heavy. Definitely heavier than I thought it would be. But it makes for solid swinging and durability. 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment