Monday, August 13, 2012

2.5 Stars: Steel Issues

Reviews: Fiskars 7855 8-Inch Hatchet

These X-series axes and hatchets are really great, economical wilderness companions. They are offered in a variety of different sizes for different applications. The longer handled axes are best for splitting logs, where as the smaller hatchets are great for packing on a hiking or camping trip for wood processing.

STEEL
The steel seemed to be a medium to low quality steel. It takes an awesome edge and is easy to sharpen the scandinavian grind with a stone. I also put a secondary bevel on it to increase the sharpness to the point where it would shave hair right off my arm. I just tested this axe in winter for the first time and the steel chipped out pretty bad in the 30-45 minutes I was using it. The edge was also rolling pretty bad. Since it is not really needed for more fine detail work, its not such a big deal but it may be to some. I really beat on this thing. Also, keep the steel oiled because it will rust over time. However, I noticed it only rusts on the portion of the head where the edge was ground. The majority of the head has a form of protective coating. In addition, the head is the same on all these axes, and is rather narrow. Theyre are many axes out there with wider heads. This can be a good thing or a bad thing as a smaller head will have less resistance when cutting wood but the larger head will be able to remove more wood. Also, you will be able to generate more speed and have better control with a lighter head. Just depends on your needs.

HANDLE
This is made of a polymer or plastic. It seems very resilient and the Fiskars website even shows it being run over by a tractor and only bending as opposed to snapping. The handle is also hollowed out to lighten the axe/hatchet. I recommend wrapping something like duct tape or paracord around the end of the handle nearest to the head as this part will take a tremendous beating. This is merely a precaution as I have not had this thing show any cracks or potential damage. It also has a decent grip in wet or dry conditions.

PERFORMANCE
This axe hacked through wood like a champ. I mostly use the X7 14 inch axe/hatchet. I found this to be the most versitile as it is easy to pack for a camping trip and is decent for processing fallen trees in my yard. Eventually, I will purchase a larger one for the house but for around $20, the X7 was great bang for my buck. Even when the blade was chipping, the axe still went through the logs easily and with precision. I found the light weight easy to yield and control.

Overall, I really enjoy using this series of axes. I just wish the steel was more high quality. I would really give this axe a 2.5 Stars but I gave it the benefit of the doubt just because the edge issues did not seem to hinder performance. For the money, its a nice little tool, just be prepared to spend some time honing the edge back into shape. Gerber makes these axes as well and sells them for a much higher pricepoint so fiskars is the way to go. If looking for a high quality, high priced axe, check out the Grunsfors Bruks series of axes.

No comments:

Post a Comment