Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Awesome! Great Balance, Weight, Everything! Except one thing

Reviews: Fiskars 7850 X7 14-Inch Hatchet

So as I said this thing is fantastic. It's got a great handle, the orange bit has a rubberized feel to it, not squishy, it is also hollow. That gives it a good weight, and it's head heavy, which makes it hit nice and hard.

My only beef with this hatchet is the factory edge. I took it out to give it a try and literally within four strikes or so, to a dead tree, the edge bent in a section of about half a milometer(7/16 of an inch).
I don't know if there was a weakness in the steel in that area, or if the edge was too fine? Ether way, I used my sharpening system to grind out the bend, and I also gave it a convex grind. After I sorted that out, the thing's edge holds up unbelievably well, and I have not had any other problems.

So I would give it five stars, with the exception of the problem I have stated. It was most likely a fluke, but I thought I might bring it to the attention
of- well -you.

No comments:

Post a Comment