Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I received the Fiskars 7855 8" Hatchet earlier today

Reviews: Fiskars 7855 8-Inch Hatchet

I received the Fiskars 7855 8" Hatchet earlier today and, after conducting a cursory initial inspection, must say that I was quite pleased with it. After closer inspection about an hour later, I found nothing whatsoever to diminish my initial pleasure. The hatchet is lightweight, sharp-out-of-the-box, and has exceptional ergonomics. Being a Fiskars product, I expected quality. I wasn't disappointed!

The hatchet feels solid in either hand, appears well built, and when I tested it on some old but thick olive branches that are scattered about part of my property, the coated steel blade easily cut right through them all.

I was initially a little concerned about the FiberComp handle's hollow vibration-absorbing chamber, thinking it might be a Fiskars cost saver that would translate negatively into a lot of unnecesary hand and forearm discomfort after prolonged use. The verdict is still out on that, but I cannot realistically envision my ever needing to use this little gem for anything more than light duty; you know, like when a bushcraft knife is just too small or impractical for the job at hand. And, I might add, the diminutive size of the hatchet is a real plus, as it makes stowing in a backpack less of a chore.

All in all, this seems a great tool at a fair price. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment